ST. Mary’s Anglican Church
St. Mary’s Anglican Church is a wooden church constructed in the vernacular Gothic style. Built between 1872 and 1875, it is located in Elliston, NL. The designation is confined to the footprint of the building.
St. Mary’s Anglican Church has been designated a Registered Heritage Structure by the Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador due to its aesthetic and historic value.
St. Mary’s Anglican Church has aesthetic value as it is a fine example of a vernacular Gothic Revival style church. The steeply-pitched multi-gabled roof adds dimension to this modest building. The gables are accentuated through the use of carved crosses positioned at each peak. The Gothic pointed arch windows have diamond shaped muntins. The porch on the main façade also as a steep pitched roof and a pointed arch doorway. Many of the interior features of the church are original and particularly notable is the scissor-braced roof truss, visible from inside, as are the exposed beams. Also notable is the mortise and tenon solid joinery in the frame construction.
Elliston United Church
Elliston United Church is a wooden, white building with a steeply pitched roof, arched windows, and a front tower and spire. It is located at 66 Main Street, at the Coles Road intersection, in Elliston. The municipal heritage designation is confined to the footprint of the building.
Elliston United Church, known as the Methodist Church until 1925, has been designated because it holds historic and aesthetic significance.
Elliston United Church has historic significance as one of the oldest buildings in the community, constructed between 1901 and 1902. It is also historically valuable because its connection to the Methodist and United Church congregations has positioned it over the years as one Elliston’s most spiritually and socially prominent buildings. The Methodist Church was constructed using donations and volunteer labour during the tenure of Reverend Charles Lench, at which time eighty percent of the community’s residents were identified as Methodist. At around the same time, Lench was instrumental in having Bird Island Cove, as Elliston was hitherto known, renamed in honour of missionary Reverend William Ellis, who had served in the area during the previous century. The church was renamed in 1925 when the Methodists joined other denominations to form the United Church of Canada.
Call Toll Free: 1-866-346-2473 ask for Charlotte or Email: Bird Island B&B